Scleroderma-Induced Renal Cell Carcinoma with Lung Metastasis
Attapon Cheepsattayakorn1,2*, Ruangrong Cheepsattayakorn3 and Porntep Siriwanarangsun1
1Faculty of Medicine, Western University, Pathumtani Province, Thailand
210th Zonal Tuberculosis and Chest Disease Center, Chiang Mai, Thailand
3Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
*Corresponding Author: Attapon Cheepsattayakorn, 10th Zonal Tuberculosis and Chest Disease Center, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
November 21, 2022; Published: December 01, 2022
Systemic sclerosis (SSc; aka scleroderma), an autoimmune disease with hypothesized etiology of non-infectious, infectious, and genetic origins . SSc is rarely associated with renal cell carcinoma (RCC-being diagnosed around 338,000 new cases annually worldwide ), whereas it may be associated with most commonly increased risk of lung (most common site [Figure 1-4]; [3-5], around 45-76% of metastatic RCC [5-7]), breast, and skin cancers  and metastases (being diagnosed around 20-30% of RCC patients at the time of diagnosis of RCC [3-5]) , including hematologic malignancies .
- Patel HS., et al. “Scleroderma associated with renal cell carcinoma: a case report and literature review”. Journal of Scleroderma and Related Disorders3 (2021): 316-319.
- Ferlay J., et al. “Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012”. International Journal of Cancer 136 (2015): E359-E386.
- Motzer RJ., et al. “Renal cell carcinoma”. The New England Journal of Medicine 335 (1996): 865-875.
- Weiss L., et al. “Metastatic patterns of renal carcinoma: an analysis of 687 necropsies”. Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology 114 (1988): 605-612.
- Bianchi M., et al. “Distribution of metastatic sites in renal cell carcinoma: a population-based analysis”. Annals of Oncology 23 (2012): 973-980.
- Bukowski RM. “Natural history and therapy of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: the role of interleukin-2”. Cancer 80 (1997): 1198-1220.
- Saitoh H. “Distant metastasis of renal adenocarcinoma”. Cancer 48 (1981): 1487-1491.
- Crosnier C., et al. “Scleroderma renal crisis and cancer”. QJM: An International Journal of Medicine4 (2018): 261-262.
- Zeineddine N., et al. “Systemic sclerosis and malignancy: a review of current data”. Journal of Clinical Medicine Research 9 (2016): 625-632.
- Cohen HT and McGovern FJ. “Renal cell carcinoma”. The New England Journal of Medicine 353 (2005): 2477-2490.
- Kovacs G., et al. “The Heidelberg classification of renal cell tumors”. Journal of Pathology 183 (1997): 131-133.
- Beck SD., et al. “Effect of papillary and chromophobe cell type on disease-free survival after nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma”. Annals of Surgical Oncology 11 (2004): 71-77.
- Störkel S., et al. “Classification of renal cell carcinoma: Workgroup No. 1. Union Internationale Contre le Cancer (UICC) and the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC)”. Cancer 80 (1997): 987-989.
- Braman SS and Whitcomb ME. “Endobronchial metastasis”. Archives of Internal Medicine 135 (1975): 543-547.
- Noy S., et al. “Endobronchial metastasis of renal cell carcinoma”. Journal of Surgical Oncology 31 (1986): 268-270.
- Motzer RJ., et al. “Kidney cancer, version 3.2015”. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network 13 (2015): 151-159.
- Klapper JA., et al. “High-dose interleukin-2 for the treatment of metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a retrospective analysis of response and survival in patients treated in the surgery branch at the National Cancer Institute between 1986 and 2006”. Cancer 113 (2008): 293-301.
- Allard CB., et al. “Contemporary trends in high-dose interleukin-2 use for metastatic renal cell carcinoma in the United States”. Urology and Oncology 33 (2015): 496.e11-496.e16.
- Cerfolio RJ., et al. “Pulmonary resection of metastatic renal cell carcinoma”. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 57 (1994): 339-344.
- Hofmann HS., et al. “Prognostic factors and survival after pulmonary resection of metastatic renal cell carcinoma”. European Urology 48 (2005): 77-81; discussion, 81-82.
- De Bae‛re T., et al. “Radiofrequency ablation is a valid treatment option for lung metastases: experience in 566 patients with 1,037 metastases”. Annals of Oncology 26 (2015): 987-991.
- Altoos B., et al. “Local control rates of metastatic renal cell carcinoma (RCC) to thoracic, abdominal, and soft tissue lesions using stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT)”. Radiation Oncology Journal 10 (2015): 218.
- Wersall PJ., et al. “Extracranial stereotactic radiotherapy for primary and metastatic renal cell carcinoma”. Radiotherapy Oncology 77 (2005): 88-95.