Young People's Perceptions of Old Age
Ksionda Olga Grigorievna*
Department of Organizational and Social Psychology, Belarussian State University, Belarus
*Corresponding Author: Ksionda Olga Grigorievna, Department of Organizational and Social Psychology, Belarussian State University, Belarus.
April 13, 2022; Published:
The article analyzes ideas about old age in young people. The world is undergoing demographic aging, which implies an increase in the number of disabled citizens. Old people differ in their biological, social and psychological characteristics. Young people imagine old age as a time of loss, illness, helplessness, when a person needs care and attention. They also celebrate acquisitions (wisdom, calmness, experience) and believe that old people should maintain the quality of life and interest in life.
Keywords: Young People; Perceptions; Old Age; Biological; Social and Psychological Characteristics
- Tsiba VG. “Analysis to understand the theory of specialness: social relation, social attitude, attitude”. Social Psychology 6 (2006): 21-34.
- Allport GW Attitudes. “Handbook of social psychology. Edition”. C. Murchison. Worcester (1935): 798-884.
- Myasischev VN. “Relationship psychology”. Moscow-Voronezh (1995):
- Kolominsky Ya L and Belanovskaya OV. “Psychological problems of the meaning of life in old age”. Psychology of Maturity and Aging 2 (2010): 72-82.
- Ermolaeva MV. “Practical psychology of old age”. Moscow. Eksmo-Press (2002): 318.
- Sapogova EE. “Existential and psychological analysis of old age”. Cultural-Historical Psychology 3 (2011): 75-81.
- Engel GL. “The clinical application of the biopsychosocial model”. American Journal of Psychiatry 137.5 (1980): 535-
- Frolova Yu G. “Biopsychosocial model as a conceptual basis for health psychology”. Philosophy and Social Science 4 (2008): 60-65.
- Tatarko KI. “Social attitudes regarding old age and its preferred image in the period of early adulthood”. Psychological Research (2018): 60
- A Boduroglu., et al. “Age-related stereotypes: a comparison of American and Chinese cultures”. Gerontology 52.5 (2006): 324-333.
- Smirnova TV. “Elderly people: a stereotypical image and social distance”. Sosios 8 (2008): 49-55.
- Starikova MM. “Stereotypes of old age and aging”. Bulletin of the Nizhny Novgorod University. Series: Social Sciences 2 (2011): 43-50.
- Mednis NV. "The Third Age" in the Philosophical and Religious Traditions of East and West”. Bulletin of the Buryat State University 1 (2014): 35-39.
- Kotter-Grühn “The impact of age stereotypes on self-perceptions of aging across the adult lifespan”. The Journals of Gerontology Series B Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences 67.5 (2012): 563‑571.
- Myint PK. “Healthier ageing”. British Medical Journal 7848 (2012): 42-44.