Biologics in Periodontal Practice-An Evidence-Based Perspective
Nikesh Narayan Moolya
Department of Periodontics, Yeshwantrao Chavan Memorial Medical and Rural
Foundation Dental College, India
*Corresponding Author: Nikesh Narayan Moolya, Department of Periodontics,
Yeshwantrao Chavan Memorial Medical and Rural Foundation Dental College, India.
Received: January 23, 2023; Published: February 01, 2023
The ultimate objective of periodontal and implant related therapy is to preserve, improve, reconstruct, and maintain the tissues that provide support to teeth and dental implants to achieve predictable, successful, and long-lasting health, comfort, function, and aesthetics . The immediate past decades have witnessed a beginning of a paradigm shift in implant dentistry adopting concepts from regenerative medicine for bioengineering with expectation of a more predictable, strategic and idealized soft and hard tissue reconstruction.
- American Academy of Periodontology. “Comprehensive periodontal therapy: A statement by the American Academy of Periodontology”. Journal of Periodontology 82 (2011): 943-949.
- Simion M., et al. “Vertical ridge augmentation by expanded -polytetrafluoroethylene membrane and a combination of intraoral autogenous bone graft and deproteinized anorganic bovine bone (BioOss)”. Clinical Oral Implants Research 18 (2007): 620-629.
- Buser D., et al. “Localized ridge augmentation using guided bone regeneration.1. Surgical procedures of the maxilla”. International Journal of Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 13 (1993): 29-45.
- Boyne PJ and James RA. “Grafting of maxillary sinus floor with autogenous marrow and bone”. Journal of Oral Surgery 38 (1980): 613-616.
- Summers RB. “A new concept in maxillary implant surgery. The osteotome technique”. Compendium 15 (1994): 152;154-156.
- FDA Code of Federal Regulations Title 21.
- Chambrone L and Avila-Ortiz G. “TISSUES: Critical Issues in Periodontal and Implant-Related Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery”. Quintessence Publishing (2022).
- Larsson L., et al. “Regenerative medicine for periodontal and peri-implant diseases”. Journal of Dental Research 95 (2016): 255-266.
- Chambrone L., et al. “Efficacy of biologics in root coverage and gingival augmentation therapy: An American Academy of Periodontology best evidence systematic review and network meta-analysis”. Journal of Periodontology 93 (2022): 1771-1802.
- Tavelli L., et al. “Efficacy of biologics for the treatment of periodontal infrabony defects: an American Academy of Periodontology best evidence systematic review and network meta-analysis”. Journal of Periodontology 93 (2022): 1803-1826.
- Avila-Ortiz G., et al. “American Academy of Periodontology best evidence consensus statement on the use of biologics in clinical practice”. Journal of Periodontology 93 (2022): 1763-1770.