3D Printing: Its Application in Pediatric Dental Practice
Rajib Sikdar, Anisha Bag, Supreet Shirolkar*, Khooshbu Gayen, Subir
Sarkar and Somen Roychowdhury
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College and Hospital, Kolkata, India
*Corresponding Author: Supreet Shirolkar, Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College and Hospital, Kolkata, India.
Received: December 31, 2021; Published: January 25, 2022
Three-dimensional (3D) printing is an additive manufacturing technique that entails depositing many layers of material to make a three-dimensional (3D) object. 3D printers are machines that produce representations of items created with CAD software or scanned with a 3D scanner. Selective laser sintering (SLS), stereolithography, fused deposition modeling, and laminated object creation are just a few of the technologies we can employ to print numerous dental goods. The materials can be used to print individual imprint trays, orthodontic models, gingiva masks, and a variety of prosthetics. Diagnostics, maxillofacial growth evaluation, facial asymmetry, and the fabrication of aligners for children with malalignment are all made possible with 3D printed products in paediatric dentistry.
Keywords: Additive Manufacturing; Bioprinting; Bone Augmentation Regeneration; Scaffolds
- Dawood A., et al. “3D printing in dentistry”. British Dental Journal11 (2015): 521.
- Knowlton S., et al. “Bioprinting for cancer research”. Trends in Biotechnology 33 (2015): 504-513.
- Huang Y., et al. “3D bioprinting and the current applications in tissue engineering”. Biotechnology Journal12 (2017): 1600734.
- The History of 3D Printing: 3D Printing Technologies from the 80s to Today.
- Ventola CL. “Medical applications for 3D printing: current and projected uses”. Pharmacy and Therapeutics 10 (2014): 704.
- Ebert-Uphoff I., et al. “Rapid Prototyping for Robotics. In M. Kordic, V., Lazinica, A., Merdan, ed. Cutting Edge Robotics”. Mammendorf, Germany: Pro Literatur Verlag (2005): 17-46.
- Singh R and Chhabra M. “Three-dimensional printing”. Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering.
- Chia HN and Wu BM. “Recent advances in 3D printing of biomaterials”. Journal of Biological Engineering 9 (2015): 4.
- Ligon SC., et al. “Polymers for 3D printing and customized additive manufacturing”. Chemical Reviews 117 (2017): 10212-10290.
- Lin L., et al. “3D Printing and Digital Processing Techniques in Dentistry: A Review of Literature”. Advanced Engineering Materials6 (2019): 1801013.
- Van Noort R. “The future of dental devices is digital”. Dental Materials1 (2012): 3-12.
- Jain R., et al. “Recent Trends of 3-D Printing in Dentistry- A review”. Annals of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry4 (2016): 101-104.
- Azari A and Nikzad S. “The evolution of rapid prototyping in dentistry: a review”. Rapid Prototyping Journal3 (2009): 216-225.
- Oberoi G., et al. “3D Printing-Encompassing the Facets of Dentistry”. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology 6 (2018): 172.
- Marsh JL and Vannier MW. “Surface imaging from computerized tomographic scans”. Surgery 94 (1983): 159-165.
- Erickson DM., et al. “An opinion survey of reported benefits from the use of stereolithographic models”. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 57 (1999): 1040-1043.
- Klein HM., et al. “[Stereolithographic model construction based on 3- dimensional reconstructed CT sectional image sequences]”. Rights of First Offer 156 (1992): 429-432.
- Nayar S., et al. “Rapid prototyping and stereolithography in dentistry”. Journal of Pharmacy and Bioallied Sciences1 (2015): S216.
- Knippenberg M., et al. “Osteogenesis versus chondrogenesis by BMP-2 and BMP-7 in adipose stem cells”. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 342 (2006): 902-908.
- Miller ED., et al. “Inkjet printing of growth factor concentration gradients and combinatorial arrays immobilized on biologically-relevant substrates”. Combinatorial Chemistry and High Throughput Screening 12 (2009): 604-618.
- Sun X., et al. “Three-dimensional bioprinting of multicell-laden scaffolds containing bone morphogenic protein-4 for promoting M2 macrophage polarization and accelerating bone defect repair in diabetes mellitus”. Bioactive Materials3 (2021): 757-769.
- Li B., et al. “A new approach of splint-less orthognathic surgery using a personalized orthognathic surgical guide system: a preliminary study”. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 46 (2017): 1298-1305.
- Philippe B. “Custom-made prefabricated titanium miniplates in Le Fort I osteotomies: principles, procedure and clinical insights”. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 42 (2013): 1001-1006.
- Vandekar M., et al. “Rapid Prototyping as an adjunct for auto transplantation of impacted teeth in the esthetic zone”. Journal of Clinical Orthodontics 49 (2015): 711-715.
- Xia J., et al. “Direct resin composite restoration of maxillary central incisors using a 3D-printed template: two clinical cases”. BMC Oral Health 18 (2018): 158.
- Sinha P., et al. “A 3-dimensional-printed short-segment template prototype for mandibular fracture repair”. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery 20 (2018): 373-380.
- Uçar Y., et al. “Layered manufacturing of dental ceramics: fracture mechanics, microstructure, and elemental composition of lithography-sintered ceramic”. The Journal of Prosthodontics (2018).
- Liu B., et al. “3D-bioprinted functional and biomimetic hydrogel scaffolds incorporated with nanosilicates to promote bone healing in rat calvarial defect model”. Materials Science and Engineering: C 112 (2020): 110905.
- Yuzbasioglu E., et al. “Comparison of digital and conventional impression techniques: evaluation of patients’ perception, treatment comfort, effectiveness and clinical outcomes”. BMC Oral Health 14 (2014): 10.
- Kim JE., et al. “Fabrication of a complete, removable dental prosthesis from a digital intraoral impression for a patient with an excessively tight reconstructed lip after oral cancer treatment: a clinical report”. The Journal of Prosthodontics 117 (2017): 205-208.
- Unkovskiy A., et al. “Direct 3D printing of silicone facial prostheses: a preliminary experience in digital workflow”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 120 (2018): 303-308.
- Revilla León M., et al. “3D metal printing - additive manufacturing technologies for frameworks of implantborne fixed dental prosthesis”. European Journal of Prosthodontics and Restorative Dentistry 25 (2017): 143-147.
- Alharbi N., et al. “Three-dimensional evaluation of marginal and internal fit of 3Dprinted interim restorations fabricated on different finish line designs”. Journal of Prosthodontic Research 62 (2017): 218-226.
- Jheon AH., et al. “Moving towards precision orthodontics: an evolving paradigm shift in the planning and delivery of customized orthodontic therapy”. Orthodontics and Craniofacial Research 1 (2017): 106- 113.
- Martorelli M., et al. “A comparison between customized clear and removable orthodontic appliances manufactured using RP and CNC techniques”. Dental Materials 29 (2013): e1-10.
- Reynolds M., et al. “3-d volumetric evaluation of human mandibular growth”. The Open Biomedical Engineering Journal 5 (2011): 83-89.
- Salmi M., et al. “A digital process for additive manufacturing of occlusal splints: a clinical pilot study”. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 10 (2013): 20130203.
- Al Mortadi N., et al. “CAD/CAM/AM applications in the manufacture of dental appliances”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 142 (2012): 727-733.
- Liu Y., et al. “Protein and mRNA expressions of IL-6 and its key signaling factors under orthodontic forces in mice: an in-vivo study”. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 152 (2017): 654- 662.
- Wicher J., et al. “3D Computer treatment planning in endodontics”. Journal of Dental 45 (2016): 67-72.
- Byun C., et al. “Endodontic treatment of an anomalous anterior tooth with the aid of a 3- dimensional printed physical tooth model”. Journal of Endodontics 41 (2015): 961-965.
- Murray PE., et al. “Regenerative endodontics: a review of current status and a call for action”. Journal of Endodontics 33 (2007): 377-390.
- Xu HH., et al. “Calcium phosphate cements for bone engineering and their biological properties”. Bone Research 5 (2017): 17056.
- Li Z., et al. “[Diagnossis and treatment of complicated anterior teeth esthetic defects by combination of whole-process digital esthetic rehabilitation with periodontic surgery]”. Beijing Da Xue Xue Bao 49 (2017): 71-75.
- Larsson L., et al. “Regenerative medicine for periodontal and periimplant diseases”. Journal of Dental Research 95 (2016): 255-266.
- Carter SSD., et al. “Additive biomanufacturing: an advanced approach for periodontal tissue regeneration”. Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering 45 (2017): 12-22.
- Li J., et al. “Evaluation of 3D- printed polycaprolactone scaffolds coated with freeze-dried platelet-rich plasma for bone regeneration”. Materials 10 (2017): E831.
- De Giglio E., et al. “Multi-compartment scaffold fabricated via 3D-printing as in vitro co-culture osteogenic model”. Scientific Report 8 (2018): 15130.
- Werz SM., et al. “3D printed surgical simulation models as educational tool by maxillofacial surgeons”. European Journal of Dental Education 22 (2018): e500-e505.
- Heym R., et al. “A new model for training in periodontal examinations using manikins”. Journal of Dental Education 80 (2016): 1422-1429.
- Lambrecht JT and Brix F. “Individual skull model fabrication for craniofacial surgery”. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal 27 (1990): 382-385.
- Kröger E., et al. “3D printed simulation models based on real patient situations for hands-on practice”. European Journal of Dental Education 21 (2017): e119-e125.
- Konvalinkova M., et al. “Using 3D digital models to establish alveolar morphotype”. Folia Morphologica 77 (2018): 536- 542.
- Shah P and Chong BS. “3D imaging, 3D printing and 3D virtual planning in endodontics”. Clinical Oral Investigations 22 (2018): 641-654.