A Kinetics Study of Bimolecular Reaction on Reaction Rate and Activation Parameters for the Hydrolysis of Diethyl Pahthalate in Aqueous Alkaline Medium of Organic Solvent
Teerthanker Mahaveer University, Moradabad, India
*Corresponding Author: AK Singh, Teerthanker Mahaveer University, Moradabad, India.
June 28, 2022; Published: August 29, 2022
The solvation parameters like iso-composition activation energy, dielectric activation energy, enthalpy of activation, entropy of activation and Gibb’s free energy of activation for the alkali catalyzed hydrolysis of diethyl phthalate ester have been determined at different range of composition for mixture of water and organic solvent at different range of temperature. The effect of solvent on rate of reaction has been studied on term of salvation and desolvation concepts. The number of water molecule associated with activated complex has been found to be decreases with increase of temperature from 200C to400C, this indicate the mechanistic path followed by the reaction change from unimolecular to bimolecular. The variation of ΔG*, ΔH*, ΔS* with solvent composition and the specific effect of water on the reaction rate kinetics are also discussed.The slope of linear plots of ΔH* versus ΔS* gives isokinetic temperature which is found to be greater than 300,indicates that the reaction is entropy controlled.
Keywords: Diethyl Pahthalate; Kinetics Solvent Effect; Ethanol-Water; Activation Parameter
- Nisha Chhetri and S A Bhoite. “Study of Solvent Effects on Hydrolysis of Mono-m-toluidine Phosphate”. International Journal of ChemTech Research2 (2016): 106-109.
- Sharma Sangita., et al. “Kinetic study of specific base catalysed hydrolysis of Ethyl Acrylate in water-Ethanol binary system”. Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry A5 (2013): 730-736.
- Schmeer G., et al. “Investigations on substituent and solvent effects of solvolysis reactions. VIII. The influence of water and non-aqueous solvents on the imidazolysis of 4-nitrophenylacetate”. Journal of Solution Chemistry 28 (1999): 211-222.
- Ramyab F Radaman., et al. “Kinetics of alkaline hydrolysis of Isatin and N-methylacetamide mixture”. Journal of Saudi Chemical Society 14 (2010): 223-229.
- DK Varma., et al. “Study of solvent effect on kinetics of alkaline hydrolysis of ethyl picolinate in water acetone medium”. International Journal of Advance Engineering and Managements (IJAEM)9 (2020): 5-6.
- FY Khalil and MT Hanna. “Kinetic, activation parameters and mechanism of acid hydrolysis of ter-Butyl acetete in aqueous DMSO”. Croatica Chemica Acta4 (1979): 329-338.
- Metwally MS. “Kinetic study of resin catalised hydrolysis of Ethyl Propionate in aqueous solvent system”. Reaction Kinetic Catalysis and Letters2 (1992): 319-336.
- AK Singh. “Activation parameters and solvent effect on solvolysis of ethyl benzoate in aqueous organic solvent system”. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry2 (2019): 99-102.
- Laidler KJ and Landskroener P A. Transactions of the Faraday Society 52 (1956): 200.
- Ingold C K. “Structure and mechanism of organic chemistry”. Cornell Universiy press Ithyca (1967).
- E Tommilla., et al. “Effect of solvent on reaction velocity (X). Solvolysis of alkyl halide in acetone-water mixture”. Annales Academiæ Scientiarum Fennicæ A2 (1959): 91.
- C A Lane. “The possibility of cyclic mechanism for the acid catalysed ester hydrolysis”. Journal of the American Chemical Society12 (1964): 2521-2523.
- RE Robertson. “A survey of thermodynamic parameter for solvolysis in water”. Progress in Physical Organic Chemistry 4 (1967): 213.
- Robertson R E., et al. “A survey of thermodynamic parameter for the solvolysis of water”. Canadian Journal of Chemistry 4 (1959): 803-824.
- Arjuman Bano AK Singh. “A kinetics study of dipolar protic solvent in alkaline hydrolysis of ethyl nicotinate in water-ethanol media - A solvent effect”. Journal of Ultra Chemistry6 (2017): 145-150.
- AK Singh. “Solvent effect and kinetics on solvolysis of propyl format in water propanol solvent mixture”. International Journal of Chemical Science4 (2019): 82-84.
- Wynne-jones W F K and Eyring H. “The Absolute rate of reaction in condense phases”. Journal of Chemical Physics 3 (1953): 492-502.
- G Yagil and M Anbar. “The effect of ionic hydration in rate and equilibrium in concentrated alkaline equation. The H functions in aqueous alkaline solution and hydration of the OH-". Journal of the American Chemical Society 16 (1963): 2376-2380.
- AK Singh. “Kinetic and solvent effect on activation parameter of aquo-propanol solvent for acid catalyzed solvolysis of propyl format”. International Journal of Chemical Science4 (2019): 85-88.
- AK Singh and LK Tiwari. “Study of solvent effect of protic solvent on solvolysis of Hexanoate ester and activation parameter”. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry3 (2020): 216-218.
- Barclay I M and Butlar IAV. “The Entropy of solution”. Transactions of the Faraday Society 34 (1938): 1445-1454.
- AK Singh. “Solvent effect and Activation Parameters: A Kinetic Reaction of Ethyl Caprylate in Water-Acetone Media”. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry6 (2021): 441-446.